It is essentially an underwater “treasure” hunt that combines your certified scuba diving skills or snorkeling skills with some high tech equipment and simple underwater search techniques, while looking for a hidden “cache” of goodies. Tell me more!!
There are 10 simple steps to embarking on your very own DiveCaching adventure!
- First of all, make sure all your diving equipment is in good, safe, working order and that your diving skills are current.
- Visit Opencaching.com and create a free account.
- In the “Search geocaches now” box, enter the location in which you wish to find a DiveCache.
- In the search results, limit those listed to DiveCaches by selecting the tag, “Diving.”
- Choose any DiveCache by clicking on its name.
- Read the entire description and enter in coordinates into your GPS device. Make note of whether the DiveCache is a “wet” or “dry” cache.
- While above the water (perhaps by way of a boat) use your GPS to locate where the DiveCache is located in the water below you.
- Suited-up in your diving gear, jump in and navigate the rest of your way to the DiveCache using your underwater compass – or impeccable sense of direction!
- Locate the DiveCache and if it is a “wet” DiveCache, sign the log book while submerged and return it to its resting place. If it is a “dry” DiveCache, bring it up to the surface, since the log book and then return it where you found it. Be sure to take photos of you and your find!
- Once you have finished your dive and have an internet connection, log onto Opencaching.com to log your discovery and post photos online. Visit www.facebook.com/DiveCaching to upload photos for the DiveCaching community to see and share you experience or post them on Instagram and tag with #DiveCaching!
Intrigued? Read On….